Members of the Volunteer Judging Committee had their work cut out for them in selecting which of 89 employee-artist entries would be featured in a showing at The Box Gallery in the Commerce Pavilion, running now through Feb. 21. The judges’ work became even harder when choosing which of the entries – ranging from water colors to photographs, stained glass to dyed eggs – would be awarded prizes.
“It takes a lot of courage to submit your personal artwork in a public show,” said Robin Trafton, curator of the Commerce Bank Art Department. “The judges were so impressed with the quality of work submitted. It made their job very difficult.”
Commerce Bank Chairman & CEO Jonathan Kemper announced the winners at the Commerce Bank Employee Art Show opening reception on Jan. 4.
- Best in Show – Jay Orr (Information Technology) for his pen and ink/ink wash drawing, “Bread, Love & Dreams”.
- First Place 2D – Jessica Janasz (Retail, Corinth Square) for her digital photograph, “Escalating Color”.
- First Place 3D – Shelly Gifford (Information Technology) for her hand-dyed eggs, “Cartons of Pysanky Eggs”.
- Honorable Mention – Joe Cannon (Information Technology) for his acrylic painting, “Dragon Tree”.
- Honorable Mention – Cathy Briles (Information Technology) for her digital photograph, “Morning Walk”.
Each of the winners was awarded a contribution to the not-for-profit organization of his or her choice.
“Watching employees get excited about resurrecting their artistic efforts has been one of the best results of the show,” Trafton said.